It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Textbooks on Reserve and Electronic Reserves (ARES): Home
How the Textbooks on Reserve Project works.
TEXTBOOKS ON RESERVE
The Libraries have purchased many of the 100 & 200 level textbooks, & selected upper level books for students to borrow & use in the Library for two hours.
Textbooks are usually at the campus Library where the course is being taught. (e.g. Glickman Library in Portland typically has the books for courses taught in Portland, Gorham Library for Gorham courses, and LAC Library for LAC courses)
Bring your USM ID card. You must have your USM ID card to checkout books.
At the main desk, ask for the textbook by course number (ENG 100, MAT 105, ...) and title of the book.
You can checkout the textbook for use in the Library for two hours.
If you need the book for longer than two hours, you can check it out again if no one is waiting for the book.
Faculty who want to place readings on physical reserves or electronic reserves should contact USM Reserves to have their course setup in Course Reserves (ARES) and readings added. email@example.com
1. In the left column, click on USM Quick Links.
2. Click on Course Reserves (ARES).
3. The first time you use ARES you will need to fill out a short form.
4. Next, click on Search Courses and find your course by course abbreviation (ENG 100, MAT 105, ...) or instructor (Zhao, Kent, ...)
5. Click Add Course, next to the green plus sign. Now, each time you go to Electronic Reserves (ARES) you will see this course and won't need to add it again.
6. Click View Course and you should see a list of items (PDF articles, videos, ...)
7. Click on the item Title to view.
How do I buy textbooks at USM?
If your textbook is not in the Textbooks on Reserve project or you want to purchase your textbook, you should:
Go to the USM Bookstore's web site and click on "ORDER YOUR TEXTBOOKS" to find out what books your need for your classes.
Order books through USM's Virtual Bookstore, eCampus.