Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
University & College Guides
Self Portrait by Jacob Lawrence
African American Genealogy Research Help
Use these steps to evaluate your sources:
1. Initial Appraisal
- Author: Credentials? Institutional affiliation?
- Date of Publication: Current? Edition or Revision?
- Publisher: University Press? Journal or Magazine?
2. Content Analysis
- Intended Audience: Student Level? Professionals?
- Objective Reasoning: Fact or Opinion? Evidence? Objective?
- Coverage: Marginally or extensively related? Primary or secondary source?
- Style: Word choice? Organized argument?
- Reviews: Cross reference?