Some materials for your classes will be on electronic reserve in the ARES system. You can find reserves for your courses by signing into ARES.
Sign into the MyUSM portal.
1. In the left column, click on USM Quick Links.
2. Click on Course Reserves (ARES).
3. The first time you use ARES you will need to fill out a short form.
4. Next, click on Search Courses and find your course by Department, Course Number, or Instructor
5. Click Add Course, next to the green plus sign. Now, each time you go to Electronic Reserves (ARES) you will see this course and won't need to add it again.
6. Click View Course and you should see a list of items (PDF articles, videos, ...)
7. Click on the item Title to view.
Borrowing/Remote Access to Databases
These two services are mentioned together because both depend on your USM card and its barcode. Your library barcode is the small black number at the bottom beginning with 2502200. To get remote access to USM Library databases, you must have your barcode activated. Don't know if your barcode number has been activated and is working? From the library's home page, click My Library Record and try to login. Doesn't work? Call or come to the library Access Services Department at any of our campuses.
Don't have a USM Card? Find out more here. (Here for Distance Learners)
Library Research Assistance
Reference librarians and Reference assistants are available to give you expert help with any question that you may have about locating information for your library research assignments. We are eager to help you find the best resources available and to find them quickly. To contact us:
For a more complete list of library services for students, check this site:
The Library Liaison Program is designed to facilitate communication and foster collaboration between the Libraries and the University of Southern Maine community. Each academic department and/or major program is assigned a librarian to provide information to faculty on library collections and services.
Find your library liaison here.