Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Reference Sources available online or in the library
Search with key words and browse by subject. Compiled and maintained by University of California, Santa Barbara.
Organized chronologically by discipline and fully indexed by name and subject.
Organized by discipline and fully indexed by author, title and subject.
Notable American Women
Short biographies of American women across disciplines, who died in the late 20th Century.
Oxford Reference Online This link opens in a new window
Dictionaries and reference works published by Oxford University Press, including the "Companion" series.
Use these steps to evaluate your sources:
1. Initial Appraisal
- Author: Credentials? Institutional affiliation?
- Date of Publication: Current? Edition or Revision?
- Publisher: University Press? Journal or Magazine?
2. Content Analysis
- Intended Audience: Student Level? Professionals?
- Objective Reasoning: Fact or Opinion? Evidence? Objective?
- Coverage: Marginally or extensively related? Primary or secondary source?
- Style: Word choice? Organized argument?
- Reviews: Cross reference?